The easiest carrot cake recipe, with all of the flavor and none of the added sugar!
These instructions make the layer cake shown.
What you get with this purchase:
What else you need:
Some are affiliate links to Amazon
Two 90g pouches unsweetened applesauce (or 3/4 cup) to prepare the cake mixes
- 1 tablespoon canola or other cooking oil to add to batter for moisture - this is the "Rich and indulgent" option on the cake package (optional, but recommended)
- 2/3 cup grated raw carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon milk (vegan or dairy, any kind) for the frosting
- 1/3 of an 8oz bar of Neufchâtel cheese (1/3 less fat than cream cheese) *at room temperature*
- 1/3 stick butter *at room temperature*
- 2 silicone cake pans
- an offset spatula to spread the frosting
natural sprinkles (optional, of course!)
How to make it:
- Preheat oven to 325F and prepare the cake batter as directed on the package, including the oil.
- Fold in grated carrots and walnuts.
- Separate batter into two cake pans.
- Bake at 325F (163C) for 16-18 minutes, or just until a toothpick comes out clean. Do not overbake!
- While the cakes are cooling, begin preparing the frosting by mixing the frosting packet with one tablespoon milk. Let sit for 5 minutes to fully hydrate.
- Mix icing with Neufchâtel cheese and butter. If the frosting is too sweet for your taste, and a little more butter and Neufchâtel.
- Place one cake on cake plate and top with 1/2 of the frosting. Use the offset spatula to spread the frosting evenly. Top with second cake and remaining frosting.
- Garnish with carrot shreds and natural sprinkles, if desired, and enjoy!
Find more recipe ideas here: Recipe Ideas
See our Shipping page for current processing times while we are moving from NY to California. U.S. orders $75+ ship free!