A classic chocolate cupcake, reimagined! Made with our all-natural protein cake mix and sugar-free frosting mixes, these are sure to be a crowd pleaser!
Makes 4 cupcakes.
~ 12g protein, 27g carbs (6g net carbs, 2.5g sugar), 8g fat, 160 cal per cupcake (5sp). (Same calories as the original, but 15.5g less sugar and a MUCH better ingredient list!)
What you need: (some are Amazon affiliate links)
Note: It may be easier to fill the cupcakes and make the icing swirls if you use 2 packets of vanilla frosting mix, one for icing and one for frosting. You'll have some of each left over, in that case.
How to make it:
- Preheat oven to 325F and set up the 4 cupcake liners in the pan.
- Prepare the cake mix with applesauce and water as instructed on the package. Spoon into the 4 cupcake liners.
- Bake at 325F for 15 minutes and check to see if the cupcakes are done. Remove them from the oven as soon as a toothpick inserted comes out clean. (Don't overbake!)
- Once cupcakes are cool, prepare both the vanilla and chocolate frosting mixes as icings (with just milk). Let them sit up to 5 minutes to be sure the mixes are fully dissolved.
- Separate the vanilla icing into two parts. Half will be used to make the frosting filling, and the other half will be used to make the icing swirls. Cover and set aside the half for the icing swirls.
- To the other half, add the palm shortening and mix as fluffy frosting.
- Using a piping bag (or ziplock) with a large open tip, fill the cupcakes each with about a tablespoon of frosting. (Insert the piping tip into the cupcake and squeeze gently to fill.)
- Ice each cupcake with chocolate icing, and refrigerate about 10 minutes to let the icing set a bit.
- Set up the vanilla icing in a piping bag with a small tip, and make the swirls on top.
- Enjoy! Store any leftovers refrigerated. Bring to room temperature to enjoy (so the filling softens again).
Used in this recipe:
Find more recipe ideas here: Recipe Ideas
Find our entire collection of mixes here: Shop All
Pin this recipe for later: